For me 2011, has certainly been my busiest year theatrically. As I sit here with my Xmas Turkish Delight and box of choccy’s, what were my highlights?
- Finally getting to see Robert Lepage was certainly a memorable occasion. His play The Blue Dragon I referred to as “Theatrical perfection”.
- I saw my first Burlesque show, which was certainly an eye opener!
- London Road at the National Theatre is certainly one of the highlights for me. An amazing piece of theatre.
- The best new play of this year I think was The Acid Test by Anya Reiss.
- The best acting I saw this year was in The Seagull at the Arcola, especially Yolanda Kettle as Nina, who gets my “Best Actress Award”. Best Actor goes to Joseph Milson as Ben Stark in Rocket to the Moon at the National.
- Crazy for You, was definitely the best musical I saw this year.
- Manon at the Royal Opera House, wins “best ballet” award.
- Best entertainment award would go to Strictly Gershwin. (so good I saw it twice and my wife saw it three times!)
- Best theatre book of the year, without a doubt the publication of Volume 2 Samuel Beckett’s letters from 1941 – 1956, I’m still ploughing my way through them, but they’re one of the most rewarding things I’ve read in a long time.
So all in all a very good year theatrically for me. Thanks to all my readers and I wish you all a very prosperous 2012.